Published on Wednesday, 18 December 2013 19:51
Written by The Greater Bor Community in the United States
Greater Bor Community in the United States
To Two Principals: President Salve Kiir Mayardit and Dr. Riek Machar Teny
Contain Violence and Resolve Political Differences through dialogue and democratic process
Following the incidence that happened on December 14, 2013, here are the facts that Greater Bor Leadership in the United States have gathered thus far:
- The fighting started in the presidential guards barrack; none knows the cause; it is hypothesized differently;
- There are indeed, causalities but the exact number is not known now;
- A number of people accused of attempted coup are put in house arrest at Dr. Cirino Iteng’s house. Those arrested are from the dissenting voices group who participated in the December 6 press conference, namely;
- Deng Alor
- John Luk
- Kosti Manibe
- Alfred Lado Gore
- Uyai Deng
- Gier Chuang
- Chol Tong
- Madut Biar
- Dr. Cirino Iteng
- Dr. Majak Agoot
- Taban Deng Gai, Dr. Riek Machar, Ezekiel Gatkuoth and Pagan Amum are also said to have been arrested but their whereabouts are unclear.
Is there a connection between the December 6 Conference and the recent incident involving the presidential guards? What is it?
Our concern as citizens and a community
- We condemn the violence in the sense that what happened yesterday must be investigated;
- Contain the situation and show leadership;
- Address political differences through meaningful political dialogues and avenues;
- Stop scapegoating or using the situation of yesterday to smear innocent voices;
- Investigate the yesterday’s incident and address it accordingly;
- Is what happened yesterday a coup or was it a clash caused by yet-to-be known reasons?
- What should South Sudanese learn from this tragic and unfortunate incident?
- Leadership: The president’s speeches during the NLC meeting and that of the vice president did not show leadership; have the capacity to instigate tension among the highly ethnically charged security forces
- Fragile nation: The nation needs a leader to delicately lead it and work to strengthen its unity
- Egos: Inflicting an incident like what happened yesterday is unacceptable; did the president cause this himself to use it as an opportunity to silent his opponents through arrests and possibly, killings or did somebody somehow, somewhere really caused this violence to try to make the president looks bad for his mismanaging of the political differences within the party and nation? Or is it just an isolated incident triggered by the politically charged environment?
- Kiir is a “failure”; Riek is a “disgrace” and all have betrayed the people of South Sudan; none is a saint. Of course, a “failure” is better than a “disgrace” but certainly, a better than the two is what South Sudan needs
- What should have prevented this unfortunate situation
- Restraint from hate speeches.
- Leadership, leadership, leadership
- What is the way forward
- Contain the situation from getting out of hands
- Investigate the situation and if it was not a coup attempt but a clash caused by some other issues then immediately release the arrested individuals, allow Dr. Riek to come back and grant South Sudanese full freedom of expression
- If this was a coup attempt, define and properly disclose how and who were involved and allow those people a fair, public trials
- To the International Community
- What is brewing in South Sudan is a very serious case fueled by egos and the vulnerable people are the ones caught in the middle; this is a great time to start profiling the crimes against innocent citizens to determine possible legal consequences against the leaders involved in the skirmishes
- To the United States of America, the United Nations, the European Union and many other regional countries, you have a lot at stake in terms of the investments you already made and your roles in alleviating this grave situation in South Sudan is highly needed now more than any other times in the history of the young nation.
Greater Bor Community-USA Executive Leadership
Greater Bor Community-USA Governmental Affairs Committee
Greater Bor Community-USA Board of Directors
County Leadership Committee (Bor, Duk, Twic)
Created: 2017-03-01 02:14:11
NEBRASKA, USA - In light of the recent news coming out of Juba, the government of the Republic of South Sudan is said...
Created: 2016-12-16 01:07:20
Your Excellency, First Vice President of the Republic,
Your Excellency, Vice President of the Republic,
Right Honorable Speaker of the...
Created: 2016-08-04 00:19:17
The 2016 GBC-USA annual conference/Awak de Michigan to be held in Grand Rapids, Michigan
September 2-5, 2016
For Immediate Press...
Created: 2016-06-17 00:58:22
For Immediate Release
June 16, 2016
From: The Nyarweng Mobilization Team (NMT)
To: Nyarweng Community ...
Created: 2016-06-04 03:12:32
A "New Path" for Managing the Governance of Oil Revenues in South Sudan
Deng Majok-Gutatur Chol
Created: 2016-03-10 02:24:02
The Twic East Community-USA, Inc. (TEC-USA) Guiding Principles for presidential candidates
July 1 – July 4, 2016
February 22, 201...